Thursday, June 11, 2009

Can I gush for a minute?

So, even though I have been in the field of education for a while, I am still totally shocked at how nice my new school is. I'm not sure if it's because it's the newest school in the district and so all the new bells and whistles are still in tact, or if the administration spends their money in different ways, or what the difference is. But there is such a massive difference.

For example: my classroom.

Not only is it new and nice with vaulted ceilings, working computers for the kids, a teacher's computer/work station with the fanciest new document camera- ooh, ahh- but it's packed to the gills with furniture and supplies. I spent two hours in there today going through all the different supplies, games, books, tools, you name it, and only got through about half of it.

The day I stepped into my very first classroom- 3 days before school started, mind you- at my old building, there was nothing. Nothing! But desks. And crickets. We scavenged for any and all beat up, burnt-orange and olive, gross cabinets and shelves and were proud when we spent way too much of our own money on a few new phonics game for our students.

This is what I'm used to. Can you see my excitement?!

Again, I really don't know why there is such a HUGE difference. But I'm not complaining. I'm half way waiting for it to all disappear. It's too good to be true.

No comments: